Note: this page is not currently appropriately named as it contains a collection of information on several topics. It should likely be renamed to Content Development.
Still working out the process.
- goes under the "media" folder
- under "media" should be 1-3 levels of nesting based on the type of asset: e.g. model, audio, music, sound effect, concept art, writing, etc.
- at the leaf level, each asset gets its own folder†
- the folder contains the "long name" of the asset
† for small, simple assets the asset can be placed directly in the parent folder without a sub-folder of it's own. A Creative Commons Public Domain license is implied on all such assets without separate licensing files.
The long name:
- "theme"-"category"-"asset name"
Within the folder, there should be at least:
- "asset name".license.json, which is a common JSON file with licensing information for that asset
- "asset name"-<### revision>.ext, revisions can be kept as separate files for media when deemed valuable to do so
- A macro needs to be written that takes a path + asset name
- It will open the license.json for the asset
- add that to a global asset credits file for the project
- add the latest version of the asset to a media/subdirs/asset.ext file under the binary directory
In an effort to ensure that "things just work", LxEngine uses a set of supported tools. This does not mean that other tools cannot be used for content development; but rather that, instead of trying to seamlessly support all tools, one tool for each major category is deemed the primary tool for that area.
- FocusWriter - writing application, useful for fiction
Building New Content
Feature & Plug-ins
Graphics & Game Engines
For inspiration and/or integration into LxEngine...
- http://www.horde3d.org/ - Horde3D
- http://www.neoaxisgroup.com/ - NeoAxis Game Engine
- http://wl.widelands.org/ - have many contributions on opengameart.org
- http://www.blendswap.com - blender models with open licenses
- 11 Day Level Design Process Overview - 9 minute YouTube on level design process