Library/HTML/Generating a favicon.ico with GIMP
First, what a favicon.ico is: favicon.
A rather detailed page is available here: http://egressive.com/tutorial/creating-a-multi-resolution-favicon-including-transparency-with-the-gimp.
In short summary:
- Create a full-size base image, save it
- Create a 16x16 down-scaled PNG copy of the base image, save it
- Create an 8x8 down-scaled PNG copy of the base image, save it
- Open the 16x16 PNG in GIMP, then choose "File > Open as Layers..." and open the 8x8 PNG
- File > Save Copy As..., save as "favicon.ico"
- Copy the saved .ico file to the root html folder of your web server